8706 Posts in 1463 Topics - by 90 Members - Latest Member: BetaFlash

Author Topic: Mazda's new engine prototype  (Read 94 times)

Offline ryguy_13_bubbajoe

• Dew-Swiggin
    • http://forumjunkies.com
Mazda's new engine prototype
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:30:09 AM »
Hi Guys,
I came across this article on Mazda's new engine type: the compression-ignition engine.  Since Mazda has had success with their rotary "non-traditional" (Internal Combustion and Diesel) engines, it would be cool to see a new advancement in gasoline technology come to fruition.  This new engine type takes the benefits of high compression ratios of diesel and the energy-dense state of gasoline and is able to generate "20-30 percent better fuel economy".

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/technology/five-things-need-know-worlds-first-compression-ignition-engine/?intcmp=CRMEN10370&providertag=MazdaCRM&servicetag=CRMEN10370&t=1&secid=1-E8LUYD&setid=1-860983557&CRMCID=0024096265&sesc=1-871354166&sp_rid=MjMxMTg0NjU1OTA5S0&sp_mid=12262284

What other cool new tech have you guys run across lately?
"Several people collapsed with seizures after playing a 1v1 deathmatch UT2004 map with 12 players; SO MUCH ACTION. I felt like I had ADHD" - Alex: regarding Lannage Event 01

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Junkie
    • Forum Junkies
Re: Mazda's new engine prototype
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
This is pretty awesome. I wondered why no one had done this yet, given the fact that the precursor (direct injection) has been around for a long time and this seemed like the logical next step.  I assume some of the hurdles were not overcome until highly accurate computer-controlled injection timing was implemented. 

I'm certainly excited to see others take this approach. One of the knocks against it is the fact that gasoline in a standard fuel injection engine helps to keep the valves clean and prevent carbon deposits, which you don't get with a GDI engine since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, bypassing the valves all together. Now, we're talking 20 to 30 thousand miles as a recommended valve cleaning interval, assuming regular oil changes have been done, but that's just one more step that'll have to be done in maintenance.

Still, very cool tech.
"A coder 'dat don't game is like a pimp 'dat don't slap" - Matthew "EvilTweety" Irvine

SimplePortal 2.3.4 © 2008-2011, SimplePortal