8706 Posts in 1463 Topics - by 90 Members - Latest Member: BetaFlash

Author Topic: Pathfinder RPG  (Read 85 times)

Offline PRECIZIONX

• Administrator
  • Forum Junkie
    • http://bulbage.com
Pathfinder RPG
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »
Ya ya ya... I know... I'm posting this is in the "Electronic Gaming" section instead of the "Gaming Section".... this should be obvious because we never had just a "Gaming Section".  Anywho...

TL;DR - I want to get a Pathfinder RPG group started.  Who all would be interested?

Background History
Most of us, but not most people have probably heard of Dungeons and Dragons (D&D).  If you haven't, here is a short introductory video on how it pretty much works.

Now, there are several version of D&D as well.  The first starting around 1974, and the latest D&D 5th Edition came out around 2014.  Pathfinder broke off from D&D 3.5 around 2003 and started down its own arc.  What is the difference you might ask?  Well the simplest way to explain it would be comparing D&D to checkers, and Pathfinder to Chess.

My Proposal
I'm in a Pathfinder group from work, but we don't play as much as I would like to, and I'm itching to play more.  I'm also very interested in playing as a GM rather than a character.  As such, I would like to reach out to all of your guys in the area to see how many people we can get together to play with in a group.  Depending on how many people are interested would organize things, but we can hash out all the logistics later.

As this would be my first official time running as a GM for Pathfinder RPG, adamantly I'm going to have some learning to do.  So I want to say upfront, that if you find a rule that I'm not aware of that is going to save your life because I messed up something, I'm not going to take it personally like some GMs out there.  This is probably going to be new for a lot us including me, but that's part of the fun.

Other Notes
When I first started, I spend some time looking over the character and race types that I wanted to be, but there was still a TON I didn't understand completely.  I probably played through 3 or 4 sessions before I realized I didn't ever set X,Y,Z on my character.  However, when I did my character became WAYYY more bad ass.  So where I was starting to think my character choices may have been a bad one, it really wasn't and now I'm arguably one of the strongest people in our group for dealing damage.

I will be making bundles of PDFs for you that will help such as the Core Rulebook, Advanced Character Guides, etc.

Our first session together will pretty much be just planning out the characters together, rolling our attributes, picking races and classes, picking one skill over another, etc.  One of the greatest tools that will help with this will be found over at PCGen.  This program is a GREAT way to track what you can and cannot do at your level.  If for instance you want to equip a longbow, but your character currently doesn't have the proficiency, the item will be marked as red.  Or if you want to pick a skill, but you are currently level 3 and the skill can only be obtained at level 4, it will mark it in red.  This is a great way build out a character and then print out a page that has a lot more information up front about your character, and a lot more pre-calculated stats that you'll be using during battle.  Its amazing, but we'll go over all of that in the first meetup. 

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Junkie
    • Forum Junkies
Re: Pathfinder RPG
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
You know you've got me and the spouse already down for it, and I'm pretty sure Enigmastrat was on board as well.
"A coder 'dat don't game is like a pimp 'dat don't slap" - Matthew "EvilTweety" Irvine

Offline Enigmastrat

• Administrator
  • Forum Junkie
    • Lannage
Re: Pathfinder RPG
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »
This sounds complicated...

https://youtu.be/XfXfOCIIFcY?t=31s

We're in.

P.S. No imbedded videos, what is this? 2008? Who's the developer of this forum?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:15:42 PM by admin »
The Logitech G5 Laser Mouse may not be able to bear my children, but it will raise them.

SimplePortal 2.3.4 © 2008-2011, SimplePortal